Europa League Referees, February 27
Here are the referees for the Europa League Round of 32 matches to be played February 27.
I think the biggest surprise for me is Bjorn Kuipers. The highly-rated Dutchman has been flying high in international competition of late. (Dutchman…flying… See what I did there?) He made the list of World Cup referees and refereed the final of this competition last season. As highly rated as he is, I was expecting him more for Champions League than Europa.
Michael Oliver of England (above) continues his rise up the ranks with this appointment. He really does appear to be the new hotness, and heir apparent to Howard Webb and Mark Clattenburg.
- Michael Oliver (ENG) – Rubin Kazan v. Real Betis
- Ovidiu Alin Hategan (ROU) – Napoli v. Swansea
- Pol van Boekel (NED) – Shakhtar Donetsk v. Viktoria Plzen
- Bjorn Kuipers (NED) – Eintracht Frankfurt v. Porto
- Luca Banti (ITA) – Sevilla v. Maribor
- Paolo Tagliavento (ITA) – Salzburg v. Ajax
- Olegario Benquerenca (POR) – Ludogorets v. Lazio
- Ivan Bebek (CRO) – Basel v. Maccabi Tel-Aviv
- Deniz Aytekin (GER) – Valencia v. Dynamo Kiev
- Antony Gautier (FRA) – Tottenham v. Dnipro
- Manuel Grafe (GER) – Genk v. Anji
- Pavel Kralovec (CZE) – Trabzonspor v. Juventus
- Aleksandar Stavrev (MKD) – Olympique Lyon v. Chornomorets Odessa
- Szymon Marciniak (POL) – Benfica v. PAOK
- Serhiy Boiko (UKR) – AZ Alkmaar v. Slovan Liberec
- Marijo Strajonja (CRO) – Fiorentina v. Esbjerg